ESR exclusively offers the provision of an integrated hire to retire workforce management solution developed by the NHS for the NHS.
By fully utilising ESR as an integrated system, your organisation can realise greater benefits. In order to achieve this, your individual departments must work collaboratively to maximise business process efficiencies.
This section outlines how you can utilise other areas of ESR functionality which support effective workforce planning to develop an greater overall ESR solution.
+ Effective Recruitment
- Using ESR for funded establishment will better enable you to manage the recruitment of staff.
- The transfer of learning data between NHS organisations will help you to have a greater understanding of your workforce skills.
- Analysing and identifying trends with your starter and leavers’ data provides you with useful intelligence to inform effective recruitment.
- Age profiling will help you to identify potential gaps in relation to retiree and potential reductions in hours.
- Performing the transfer of personal, employment, and training data through Pre-Hire IAT will enable you to recruit more quickly and reduce the time to hire.
+ Skilled Workforce
- Full use of the Learning Management functionality in ESR (OLM) will assist you in managing all of the clinical and non-clinical training needs of your existing and emerging workforce.
- Utilising OLM and competences will provide you with the intelligence to effectively plan your educational offerings, and to respond to skills requirements to meet the changing demand for service.
- Utilising the Performance Management Plans functionality will enable you to identify and manage talent effectively within your organisation.
+ Empower & Retain
- Allowing employees to manage their own information, including learning and development through ESR Self Service will support your retention strategy.
- Allowing employees to access to their own record will improve your organisation’s data quality.
- Utilising the Performance Management Plans and Appraisal functionality within ESR will give employees opportunities to develop and progress in the organisation.
- Through the implementation of ESR Self Service employees will have full visibility of their Total Rewards Statement, highlighting the overall value of their employment and benefits of working for your organisation.
- Nurse Revalidation within ESR provides employees with remote access to a clear process and templates which will help them to comply with revalidation requirements.
+ Financial Controls
- Implementation of the ESR learning management functionality with no additional, direct costs to your organisation, which is part of a holistic solution, fully responsive to workforce changes which have the ability to provide essential intelligence to enable effective workforce planning.
- Access to the dedicated NHS ESR Programme Team resources to support your implementation at no additional direct cost to your organisation.
- Inter Authority Transfer (IAT) in ESR is the unique process for the transferability of learning compliance across the NHS, and is recognised through national Streamlining programme. With OLM and competences being managed in ESR, the data will flow easily and with minimal manual intervention.
- Recording Establishment Control within ESR will provide an accurate comparison of funded positions against actual. This will not only mean effective vacancy control but easier access for managers to this vital information on managing their staff.
+ Workforce Intelligence
- Utilising the ESR Portal and its portlets to benefit your employees will enable them to easily and quickly identify specific data due for renewal, such as learning competences and professional registration expiry.
- Support managers to efficiently manage their teams through the provision of workforce data through the manager’s dashboard and Business Intelligence reporting (BI).
- Improve data quality within your organisation by making full use of the WoVEn (Workforce Validation Engine) reports that are available in BI.
- Increase the productivity and effectiveness of your learning and development teams through the access to the learning dashboards and encourage development of local portlets to gain further efficiencies.
- Utilise the various national dashboards and reports in Business Intelligence to assist in planning your training provision, to ensure supply meets demand, and to help ensure compliance is maintained.
- Support effective workforce planning by maximising ESR data utilisation across the full solution. By combining compliance data with workforce by age, gender, staff group will provide great insight for workforce planning.
- Utilise starters and leavers reports within BI which will help to identify where your workforce is being recruited from, but also where they are moving to and why. This will help you to understand the labour market within your local area.
- ESR BI external data functionality provides the ability to report on non-ESR data alongside ESR data, to allow organisations to combine their data and pinpoint issues and efficiencies across the service.
+ Back Office Efficiencies
- By utilising the full functionality of ESR Self Service your organisation can increase the productivity and efficiency of your various back office functions, through revising work practices, streamlining processes and reducing administrative workload.
- Making full use of e-Learning via local or national content reduces the need and reliance on face to face training, thereby releasing resources from a central training perspective and reducing the time away from the work place for employees.
- Reducing the need for centralised reporting and improving data reporting for managers for a wide range of workforce data including absence, compliance, sickness absence and establishment through the implementation of manager Self Service, providing access to real-time information at all times.
- Reducing non-value added tasks and identify opportunity to utilise available skill mix to offer value elsewhere within the organisation.