Start a Conversation
Click through the boxes below to discover... how to Evaluate your current use of ESR functionality, identify what you need to Consider when exploring the ESR solution, and outline how you can Take Action, to expand your use of the solution to gain maximum efficiencies.
Understand your current ESR usage to identify areas for increasing productivity and efficiency within all your back office functions.
- Do ESR stakeholders within your organisation have regular group meetings to discuss back office functions and the services provided? Are these discussions considering how ESR can be used to displace and/or change such service requirements?
- Is there communication and co-ordination between your back office functions?
- Are you and your ESR stakeholders aware of how ESR can support efficiencies in your back office functions?
- Are you using all of ESR capability to streamline the hire-to-retire life cycle?
- Are duplicate processes being undertaken within different work streams? ESR is designed to be the ‘single version of truth’ instead of different localised processes and data collection/storage.
- How much time are back office teams spending on ad-hoc data requests that employees or managers could deal with themselves, using ESR?
Understanding your back office functions within the wider organisation landscape will help to ensure you deliver a responsive and effective service not only for today, but also for the future.
- Within the region and STP, what functionality of ESR is being utilised?
- Can you adopt ESR functionality that you don’t currently use, that is being used by others? Or can you influence other organisations to use ESR functionality that you use? This can support streamlining and encourage collaborative working.
- Is the service provided by your back office functions able to respond to a changing NHS landscape that needs a fluid workforce?
- Are services in line with regional and STP expectations?
- Are there additional value-add services that back office teams could provide to your organisations, by displacing transaction activity?
To help you formulate a clear plan of action for maximising your use of ESR, we recommend you initiate the following:
- Establish an ESR Steering Group where all your ESR stakeholders participate. This will encourage cross-department working and give a greater understanding of how ESR functions undertaken in one department could positively impact on another.
- Arrange for process-mapping workshops in the back office functional areas to identify areas of improvement.
- Challenge current processes for back office functions. Could these be leaner if data was entered / initiated by the employee or manager via Self Service?
- Investigate how your STP partners are using ESR to see if leaner processes could be put in place across the region.
- Ensure that you have representation at your regional ESR Special Interest Group meetings (SIGs). The SIGs cover the back office functions of HR, Recruitment, Self Service, Payroll and Learning and Development. Attendance at these will guarantee that your organisation has the most up to date information about ESR functionality, and gives you the opportunity to find out how other NHS organisations in your region are using ESR.